This beautiful Beaux-Arts style train station in Oakland, CA was designed by Jarvis Hunt. Built in 1912, the 16th street station was the terminus of the transcontinental railroad. It also was the hub for the East Bay Electric trains that could carry passengers into Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda and other nearby towns. In 1939, a major new line was added that carried the train on the lower deck of the brand-new Bay Bridge into San Francisco. Unfortunately, that service only lasted until 1941, leaving the competing Key System trains as the only train service across the bridge until 1958, when the lower deck was converted to auto traffic. The 16th Street station was damaged from the Loma Prieta Earthquake of 1989 and forced to close. It is now part of a surrounding housing development and is slated to be restored as part of that project.